Saturday, July 07, 2007

And we're walking -

No more Lüleå city life for me. I have heard the call of the wild and I'm leaving for the mountains! This is my preferred mode of transportation. The trick is to sneak into the luggage compartment before the bus starts moving.

Aboard one of the squillion ferries of Finnmärk, I'm free to switch rides while the car deck is empty.

I meet up with Lasse and Anja, the intrepid architects/travelers, and a third guy with walking sticks.

This is the moment when I first realize that Lasse's hands have become surgically attached to his pockets.

When I look back on the trip now, this is how I remember them: Somewhere in the far distance behind me, fiddling with their equipment and whining about their blisters.

Jesus fuck, it's still winter up here! This was not what the brochure said. I only packed my bikini.

This is what we call a "mountain" in the expert terminölogy.

Apparently many people have been sawed in half up here.

This is a damn nice picture. (Get it? Get it?)

If you want to go inside the icy lake, here's the door.

Animals I have encountered: the Scandinavian lemming (lemnus lemnus).

Hard to catch, but good eatin'.

It's basically a choleric mountain hamster.

But enough about lemmings. Here is a picture of a waterfall.

The water looks so inviting, doesn't it? I'm so happy I packed my bikini.

If there's a troll underneath this bridge, it's most likely a wet troll.

Ah, the valley of the happy, nice people.

Look at them. So happy and nice.

IF IT WASN'T FOR THE GODDAMN MOSQUITOS!

Here's that guy with the walking sticks getting a mosquito bite on the shoulder.

The mosquitos don't bite Lasse because his canteen is full of gin instead of water. That guy is like a chocoholic, only with alcohol.

And we're walking -

This is the only picture I have from the third and fourth day, because we mostly spent the time wading waist high in icy water. In the rain.

This is probably not a good sign.

Thank GOD we made it down alive.

Lasse is either very grateful, or his architecture fetish has finally gone too far.

Time for me to find a luggage compartment to sneak into.

This is strictly forbidden. Don't even think about it.

The dark busses. In the dark. They have come to take me away. In the dark.

THE END

9 Comments:

Blogger suttonhoo said...

lasse looks taller in the pictures than he does on his blog.

and what -- no bikini shots?

(p.s. brilliant. as always.)

9:10 pm  
Blogger Mikkel said...

Lasse can best be described as a taller and uglier version of Julia Roberts.

7:22 am  
Blogger Antagonous said...

yeah where are the bikini shots?

7:26 am  
Blogger Mikkel said...

What do you mean, where are the bikini shots? Look at the sixth picture from the bottom, that's me in my bikini.

8:54 am  
Blogger Lasse said...

Hi hi! Great story! Although there were some thing's in your story that I for some reason remember quiet differently - well it must be me?!?
...And yes believe it or not I WAS actually smelling the tared wood. What a great hiking trip it was!
I'm just back from the rainiest Roskilde Festival ever! They evacuated some of the people and there tents. There campsites turned into rivers I tell you!

12:47 pm  
Blogger Lasse said...

"surgically attached to his pockets" hi hi hi!!!

12:48 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

Actually, only the lower half of Lasse's face looks like Julia Roberts.

Actually, my past week looked a lot like these pictures. Only with sun and no snow and more bikini shots. Oh, and a wedding.

12:06 pm  
Blogger Mikkel said...

Congratulations! She finally roped you in, did she?

5:30 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

Not me, silly.

1:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home