Friday, January 20, 2006

Nadia’s vampire dream

"I was in a park in a place I was unfamiliar with, although I know I lived nearby. It was daytime but it was dark, thick black clouds, and strong winds. I was in a field near a delapidated shack.

I was out there specifically for the winds. In my dreams, when it is really windy I can run along catching gusts and get airborne. Once I've caught a good gust I can stay up for quite a while, sometimes in a bouncing motion like there isn't a lot of gravity. And some gusts are like rollercoasters. I quite often ride wind currents in my dreams.

Anyway I was just trying to catch a good gust, because while the dreams are regular they are fairly spaced out so that I have to get back into the swing of it again, and there were a group of vampires across the field. They were kind of threatening me, like they knew I was similar to them so I could join them or they could kill me and they were quite interested in me but also quite ambivalent about whether I would die or not.

I was a little scared of them. But I knew they were lame. Like glorified goths. So I buggered off into a field near by. I was slightly anxious that they would follow me but they never did.

I spent hours flying around in the field. It was bordered by huge willow trees all growing quite close together. They were gorge-ous. It was fun.

The end."

This is a wish fulfilment dream.

Dreams about flying are com-mon. From the age of about six or seven many children start dreaming of being cha-sed, running away from diff-erent “bad guys” - the chan-ging villains of the nocturnal drama. In these dreams, contrary to the (related) ones in which she can’t move, the child will run faster and better than her pursuers, sometimes actually taking off from the ground and flying away. This is often a recurring dream that comes back with intervals well into adulthood.

Your flying dream, even though it may seem independent, grows out of the running dream, which you’ve probably had from childhood. Children who have this dream typically feel disturbed by a significant challenge or obstacle in their lives: Economic pressures, the death of a parent or sibling, an illness - either personal or as a family problem, like alcoholism – something nasty. Something a child would want to take flight from.

The flying clearly represents your wish to escape, but more significantly, it represents a sense of trust in your own ability to outrun whatever is after you. You know you are smart, imaginative and powerful enough to find a way out.

So what’s chasing you? A group of vampires. You don’t say what sex they are – boys, girls, mixed, unisex – it could be significant.

Some would see the vampire as a very bland and generic type of monster. Sure it’ll kill you dead, it’s evil and lurks in the shadows and all that, but don't they all? Like you say, isn’t it in some ways just a lame, glorified goth? No, you don’t really believe that. You know that the vampire was a beautiful, sensuous symbol of darkness long before that sad new breed of middle class narcissist came along.

It is clearly something erotic that threatens you. Exactly what evil does the vampire do? She takes her pleasure from other people by extortion. She uses intimidation and blackmail to get what she wants. She is perhaps so afraid of rejection that she doesn’t dare ask for what she wants, so instead she just takes it. And she lives (in this state) forever and ever, never entering into a reciprocal relationship.

Do the vampires recognize you as something similar to them, or is it the other way around? The important thing is, you don’t want to be their victim any more than you want to join them. You fly away to a safe haven guarded by beautiful willows.

You're not going to like this next part: If you choose to believe in the collective unconscious, it’s interesting that the willow trees have always been symbolically connected to the dark moon goddesses. There is a type of willow sometimes called “the chaste tree”, and moon priestesses would sleep in its fallen leaves to become clean. This ritual was translated into Christianity where nuns would drink a tonic distilled from the sap of the willow to strengthen them in their celibacy.

To sum it up: You fear that you might (again) fall prey to sexual blackmail equally as much as you fear your own extortionist tendencies. But you are also ultimately confident in your ability to escape those elements of your sexuality (perhaps by seeking refuge for a time in a state of chastity).

That’s all I could come up with. Oh, and you’re a lesbian and a switch.

Thank you for your dream.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger surly fag said...

i tried to break the chaste but i'm totally impotent. so i might as well continue it. where did you get your mad dream skills bro?

12:45 pm  
Blogger Mikkel said...

Darling, let's have a beer together and I'll explain my revolutionary just making it up as I go along-technique. You'll love it.

1:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to fly in my dreams. why do you think the flying decreases with age?
i haven't flown in so long. it makes me sad, it was fun.
was i really outrunning something? no memory.
it was like catching a breeze, but more of a snake-like action with head and shoulders straining, pulling towards the sky.

4:54 am  
Blogger Mikkel said...

My own flying dreams, now that I think about it, are often about trees.

5:11 am  
Blogger Mikkel said...

I just woke up from a flying dream. It was set on the rooftops of rural France between the wars and everything had a brownish tint.

I flew from point to point by catching the wind and then breaking the motion with my foot on trees or rooftops.

I was pursuing a super villain doctor with a large handlebar mustache, a cape and motorcycle goggles. He had cheated me out of my inheritance - an automotive factory - and besides he was a draft dodger.

Unfortunately I miscalculated my jump and fell so I had to give up.

It was almost impossible to climb back up. When I finally made it, the villain was leisurely taking a bath in a large bronze tub on the top balcony. He said, I need my rest you know. I answered, oh no, not again.

Three women in long, black and red silk dresses came out onto the balcony and the dream changed.

3:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home